Analyzing Grammar: An Introduction (Cambridge Textbooks in Linguistics) - Paul R. Kroeger This is a very good introduction to linguistics. It deals with all major categories and provides you with the relevant terminology. For me, it was perhaps a little basic, but I really needed something to make sure I had the foundations firmly in place since I have never studied any formal linguistics and just had to try to make sense of concepts as they came along. All in all, it was an easy and pleasant read! The downside is perhaps that after reading a nice -pedagogical- book like this, a specialized linguistics article may scare the shit out of you.

The one thing that bugged me a little bit was the language choice for examples. Why so few Slavic languages? :( (And one weird Russian example! But I guess I must be the one who's mistaken, because it's from Comrie, and Comrie can't be wrong, can he?) Well, there were generally few languages where I could understand much anyway. I do get that linguists love to poke around in obscure African and Southern American languages (for example) because they have some pretty wild stuff in them (or just funny, like Tagalog reduplication), but at the same time... when you want to illustrate something pretty simple, that can be found pretty much everywhere, why not just choose a language which has a much wider "audience"? I would get any examples from any Slavic, Romance or Germanic languages, and not just struggle through the morphological annotation to make sense of them. After 100 examples of Malayalam & friends I found myself just reading the English translations...

Extra points for making an effort with the English examples though, there are many brilliant ones there alongside the traditional "Mary gave Thomas a book"! And I really liked the "promiscuous clitics".