Short Grammar of Bulgarian for English Speaking Learners - Evgenia Antova This is a rather good introduction to Bulgarian grammar, but - I think it's best suited for those who already know another Slavic language. A very large part of the book is made up of examples, and if you don't know basic Slavic vocabulary, I guess this could get tiresome (i.e. if the only word in the example you understand is the word being demonstrated). I found all the examples helpful, even if they did slow me down, since I tried to make sense of them without looking at the translations.

The only complaint I have is that the part on verbs could have been better. For someone who is unfamiliar with the Bulgarian verbal system, a lot of it looks pretty much the same. The author could have dedicated more time and space to demonstrating differences between very similar forms, and to pointing out that "this form is identical to that form but the difference in use is that...", etc. I especially found some of the past participles (which to me, with a base in Eastern Slavic languages, look like ordinary past tenses) and the re-narrative mode confusing. I hope things will sort themselves out as I move on to the next grammar book I plan on reading (Kjetil Rå Hauge's).