Jeg kan oppløse mørket - Guro Sibeko Close one between 3 and 4 stars. The drawbacks pull this one down to 3, but it could easily have been a 4 star book.

This book does not have a traditional female main character. She's not very typical in any way, at least not for "modern women". She is kind of childlike, ingratiating and ridiculously devoted to her husband, largely ignorant about the world and happy about it, and very content to just be at home, to shut herself in. Not that she doesn't seem to be able to interact socially with people, she just prefers to be at home and does not try to change it. NICE. I liked this story most when it remained in the small world of this woman, her thoughts and ideas, her worries. The way it handled lesbian encounters was also highly refreshing. No fuss, no "OMG AM I GAY?":s, etc. When it took the step out into the "big world", I was a bit disappointed, and some of the realism went out of the book. I just don't see any of that which happened during her trip as very plausible. The plausible version would be utter boredom and not meeting a single person for a month.

A slower pace of the "breakdown", and more insinuations about what's to come is something that could have made this book truly great. There's a certain mood in the beginning that's just brilliant. Everything is happy, sunny, beautiful, and you think "wow, really, they have that much sex?", but you get small hints that this won't last. That mood should have been kept for much longer, explored much more. Skip the journeying part (possibly with the exception of the Italy-period). I've been on tons of journeys, they never change me! The main character in the end of the book hardly reminds of the one we meet in the beginning.

Also, I wish the change in "Rune" would have been the result of something else than... what it was.