The Fault in Our Stars - John Green This is one of the saddest books I've ever read, *especially* the saddest book that was at the same time funny. First and foremost, this book should really be considered funny (percentage-wise), but because tragic events are so all-consuming and leave a much stronger impression, they somehow sneak in and dominate any given situation. I love the dad who's constantly crying, Hazel's exasperated thoughts about her mother, and Augustus is one of the most adorable characters ever (the drawing of the virgin-circles, I love that, really-really love that). I'm also very grateful towards Green for not creating petty, annoying female characters (that is in this book and in Looking for Alaska); instead he creates idyllic ones that are funny while at the same time dying.

I love the approach to death/sorrow/life pretty much sucking in this book. It's really a book on cancer, which I would perhaps usually find pathetic, if it weren't well done. It kind of makes fun of books on cancer, and it just doesn't end up the way it is "supposed to", even though you get it quite early on. And when you get it, it's just sad, because you already know from the start that Hazel will sooner or later die, and that's fine.

I could possibly have given this book 5 stars, but the entire book didn't feel altogether plausible. It's fine for literature to not be plausible, as long as I don't catch myself thinking about it. Here I repeatedly caught myself thinking about it. It was not so much Hazel and Augustus' behavior, because they are certainly very self-confident and not very 17-year-old-ish, but on the other hand, why shouldn't you be if you're dying and have very little left to lose? The Amsterdam/weird author part of the book, however, mostly ruined it for me, insofar as you can say that a 4 star book is ruined...

Since I have a morbid side I really want to continue writing about the theme of dying on people, which I absolutely love here, but I'll refrain from that. For now.