Dark Lover - J.R. Ward I think I fell in love with this book after 15 or so pages. It's a great story, an interesting variant on the vampire legend where vampires are actually a separate species, and where humans can not be turned by being bitten. They eat food, seem to function rather like humans, they get hurt, etc. And it's just awesome that the mighty, lethal vampire king is blind and has a serious inferiority complex! The female protagonist is... normal. She is *not* annoying, she does not do an excessive amount of stupid crap that causes problems for everyone else, and she's not blind to everyone else's problems. Wonderful!

The only complaints I have about this book are 1) the title - it just makes you think of... I don't know what, but it feels unworthy of the book, and 2) the names of the vampires. They are just ridiculous. I also didn't particularly enjoy reading about Mr. X and the lessers; it really made me think of the huge fantasy books I read when I was 15 and where you got stuck with some lame, boring character for 50 pages before you got back to the good stuff. Luckily, the tiresome bits in this book are often just 5-10 pages long.

I will definitely continue reading this series, and with great expectations. I have a strong feeling there has to be a book dedicated to Z. somewhere along the way, and I wouldn't miss that for the world!