Adolphe - Benjamin Constant I probably shouldn't have picked this one up right after reading Dostoyevsky and pointing out that I've had it with weak men in literature (and how their stories and experiences are apparently "universal"). This is pretty close up there with Werther (whom I sincerely hate), but it's not that bad, because Adolphe doesn't get pathetic in the same way. Because we all know what happens to Werther. Perhaps I should actually say that Adolphe is way weaker. He can't do anything, even though he knows he should (1) end the liaison and (2) start an actual life, among other things, which would be the best for both of them. The only redeeming factor is that the narrator knows he's a worthless idiot.

After reading the commentary afterwards (made by the translator), I do actually want to read more about Constant himself, and finally get around to Mme de Staël. I also want to get back to reading classics in general.

A note on the translation: Not very good. You very clearly feel that it's a translation, with odd sentence structure and sometimes ambiguous coordination of subordinate clauses. Word order is also sometimes wildly weird, but I don't know how much can be attributed to the translation being written in the 50's (Swedish being a language that changes fast), but if I had loved the book, I would probably have picked up the original as well as the more recent translation to do a comparison.